The JVM Thing 7.0 – Thursday 12th July
I can’t believe we’re mid-way through 2018 already & onto our 3rd event of the year!
We decided to take The JVM Thing on tour this year, to showcase JVM talent at some of the best companies in the Leeds area.
Infinity Works Consulting kindly hosted our 1st event. Somehow we managed to convince Java Champion, Simon Ritter, Deputy CTO @ Azul Systems to kick-start our event schedule who graced us to discuss Java at Speed: Building a JVM for modern workloads.
We then crossed the road to Sky Betting & Gaming, with 8 lightning talks lined up from companies all around Yorkshire.
- “Building Full Stack Location Based Applications for the Mobile Industry” – By Serb Ocal @ EE Mobile
- “JVM and serverless – Kotlin at Skybet scale” – By Alex Stanhope @ Sky Betting & Gaming
- “200GB, living within your means.” By Mark Jessop @ Anaplan
- “Using Apache Spark with small data”– By Matt Thornfield @ Virtual Pair Programmers
- “Formalising Elasticsearch” – By David Turner @ Elastic
- “Getting functional with Kotlin” – By James Morris: @ Sky Betting & Gaming
- “The Craft Of Pull Request Review” – By Robertas Šetkus @ EE Mobile
- “Android from Java to Kotlin – An unexpected journey” – By Jaime Boden @ Sky Betting & Gaming
For our 3rd talk of the year we have the delight of presenting 2 great speakers from Sky’s tech hub who have 2 insightful talks lined-up.
- Richard McIntyre, Principal Developer – Designing and deploying a super-fast suite of micro-services on the JVM at Sky.
- Anthony Sargeant, Senior Developer – Talking about Sky’s Identity Platform.
The JVM Thing is a tech community group for the JVM language community, bringing together Software enthusiasts to show, tell, share knowledge and discuss key topics related to the JVM ecosystem.
Follow us on Twitter for upcoming news: @The_JVM_Thing
Join us on meet-up: https://www.meetup.com/Leeds-JVMThing/
If you’d be interested in speaking at future events, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org